Monday, October 22, 2012


Writers.  Sometimes our conversations veer in strange directions.

For instance, at Writers’ Camp the other day we took a break after an intense two-hour stretch to discuss what we’d like to have as our last meal.  (Don’t get me started on the connection between marathon writing days and thoughts of last meals.) 

One of my friends swears it’s shrimp-and-grits for her.  But she’s not talking about bland white grits with a sprinkle of cheese with a few rubbery shrimp on the side.  She’s talking about ‘Nawlin’s style shrimp-‘n-grits, which is a whole nother deal.  Delicately cooked, plump shrimp.  A fabulous spicy sauce flavored with bits of ham.  Coarsely ground, slow-cooked grits. (For the Northerners among us, think cream of wheat with butter and salt instead of sugar and you’ll be in the ball park.  Not running the bases, mind you, but at least in the ball park.)  Done right, shrimp-and-grits is mouth-watering goodness.

Not to be outdone, the rest of us weighed in with our last meal choices.  One wants a perfectly grilled steak with twice-baked potatoes.  One who, I swear, will be watching her figure on her deathbed, specified salmon and spinach. 

Me, I’m partial to rack of lamb with a nice merlot sauce.  I always thought I’d top it off with one of those super-rich chocolate desserts.  Maybe one of those molten lava cakes.  You know, the kind where you slice into warm chocolate cake and this liquid chocolate sauce flows out. 
The only thing better than chocolate, however, might be a slice (or two, since it’s my last meal, right?) of Key Lime pie.  I had a bite of the perfect pie this weekend when hubby was kind enough to share his from Harry’s Seafood Bar and Grill in Tallahassee, Florida.


I tell you, one taste and my mouth thought it had died and gone straight to heaven. 

No comments:

Post a Comment